Thursday, September 5, 2019

Using Decorative Masks to Emboss

These are seriously fun to play with!  I pulled my Basic Pattern Decorative Masks out (available in the Stampin' Up! Holiday catalog) when I saw this week's TGIF challenge to use embossing powder.

tgifc227 embossing powder challege

I had the immediate idea of using the masks to heat emboss the pattern to create a cool background.  The effect was one I LOVED!

heat embossing with Basic Patterns Decorative Masks by Nicole Steele The Joyful Stamper

I wanted to work with the new Gather Together set and Gathered Leaves dies, so I thought the tree mask was the perfect pattern.

close up of heat embossed tree pattern and leaf - Basic Pattern Decorative Masks and Gather Together set and Gathered Leaves Dies

I tried to get a good close up for you of the embossed trees, leaf, and sentiment.  I used Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder on the tree mask, and Gold Stampin' Emboss Powder on the leaf and sentiment.  The cardstock is Merry Merlot, one of the featured colors in the Come To Gather suite.

I made another background using the same mask, but with Gold Stampin' Emboss Powder on Mint Macaron cardstock.  

Tip to use Basic Pattern masks to heat emboss backgrounds by Nicole Steele The Joyful Stamper
  

You can use painter's tape or washi tape to hold down your mask for this next tip, or you can simply hold it down with your fingers and carefully press a Versamark ink pad to the cardstock through the mask.

Press Versamark pad to cardstock through mask to apply ink for heat embossing


Be sure to swipe an Embossing Buddy on your cardstock before applying Versamark to ensure powder does not stick to stray spots.  Or you can be like me and forget to use it and end up with powder in unexpected places and then claim that you like the randomness of that look in an attempt to appear like you did that on purpose.  Ahem.

I hope you enjoyed this card and technique today!  I have an idea for Halloween for using these masks so stop back to see how it turns out! 

Until September 30

Register by September 11.

September 4-30
Click image to see selected DSP
Click here to shop
Stampin' Up! Buy 3, Get 1 Free Designer Series Paper sale! Shop with Nicole Steele



No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10