Monday, March 9, 2020

Tissue Paper Watercoloring Technique

I'm a HUGE fan of the Splitcoaststampers site (SCS for short) and their quarterly themed stamping events called Virtual Stamp Nights.  On a specified Friday night and all day Saturday, hourly challenges are posted and we have one hour to create a project that meets the challenge requirements.  I love it because of the adrenaline rush, of the freedom from overthinking, and the pretty sweet stack of cards I have at the end of the event.  

The most recent one (Floralpalooza) had a Tissue Paper Watercoloring challenge.  I'd never tried that before so I dove in.  I cut about 10 5"x7" pieces of white tissue paper, pulled out some ink pad combinations and a Stampin' Spritzer filled with water, my largest clear stamping block (it's what I smooshed my ink pads on), and got to work.  I used my Heat Tool to dry them quickly, then picked my favorites to make into cards.    


Tissue Paper Watercoloring technique with Stampin' Up's Beautiful You
These colors of Poppy Parade, Melon Mambo, and Flirty Flamingo were gorgeous when blended together.  They radiated so much energy that I had to use this image and sentiment from Beautiful You.


Tissue Paper Watercoloring technique with Stampin' Up's Beautiful You

The sentiment is stamped in Versamark on Poppy Parade cardstock, heat embossed with Black Stampin' Emboss Powder, and mounted on a small rectangle of Basic Black cardstock.  The frame was created by nesting two Stitched Rectangles on a piece of Basic Black cardstock and running them through my die-cutting machine.

Tissue Paper Watercoloring technique with Stampin' Up's Beautiful You

I tried what the original tutorial suggested and lightly swiped a Versamark pad across the watercolored tissue paper, after it'd been glue to a piece of Whisper White cardstock (to give it more stability).  I then sprinkled on Gold Stampin' Emboss Powder and melted it with my Heat Tool.  The scatter of gold Metallic Pearls adds to the drama and energy of this card plus highlights the color contrasts with the black.

Try this Stampin' Up! color combination: Flirty Flamingo, Melon Mambo, Poppy Parade

Tissue Paper Watercoloring technique with Stampin' Up's Hold On To Hope
This color combination of Old Olive, Pretty Peacock, and Rich Razzleberry went well with Hold On To Hope.  I added a torn piece of Vellum cardstock to highlight the gold embossed cross.  

Tissue Paper Watercoloring technique with Stampin' Up's Hold On To Hope
I used the large branch image in the set to stamp on the watercolored tissue paper.  I used Old Olive ink to stamp on the Old Olive watercolored sections, Rich Razzleberry in those sections, and Pretty Peacock in those sections.  I love the tone-on-tone look that varies throughout the card!

Tissue Paper Watercoloring technique with Stampin' Up's Hold On To Hope

This ribbon began as the Gold Metallic Edge Ribbon, which is actually Very Vanilla Satin.  However, Stampin' Blends Markers can be used to color this ribbon!  I used the brush tip of a Dark Blackberry Bliss marker.  There's nothing complicated about doing this, either - just swipe the tip along the ribbon and the color flows out effortlessly.  Make sure you have scrap paper underneath the ribbon to catch the ink that comes through the other side.

Try this Stampin' Up! color combination: Old Olive, Rich Razzleberry, Pretty Peacock


See the Tissue Paper Watercolor Technique here.



March Ordering Reward

Free March Class Tutorial with $15 order | offered by Nicole Steele The Joyful Stamper

This is the tutorial bundle to my in-person class that is nearly always full!
  • Orders between $15 and $149 (before shipping and tax) placed in March 2020 with Nicole Steele through my store will receive by email my March Class Tutorial.   
  • You must use the Reward Code JSPSUZYB.  Click here to see where to type in the Reward Code.  
  • If your order is over $150, do not use the Reward Code (you'll want to use the Stampin' Rewards yourself!) but you will still get the March Class Tutorial. 

If you are enjoying The Joyful Stamper site

  • Want a catalog and don't already work with a demonstrator you love?  Request a free catalog package by emailing me at nicole@thejoyfulstamper.com or via this form.
  • Never miss a beat in the stamping world - subscribe to The Joyful Stamper Stampin' News, a weekly email that specially delivers fun, tips, and specials right to you.  Sign up and get a free exclusive Stampin' News Subscriber pdf tutorial as a thank you!
  • Join me every Tuesday at 2 PM ET on The Joyful Stamper Faceboook page for my free Happy Half Hour live stamping class.
  • You'll love my crafting videos on The Joyful Stamper YouTube channel!  Subscribe while you're there and click the bell so that you always have fresh inspiration.
  • Looking for community, a hobby, or a way to make extra money?  My team of My Joyful Stampers has a place for you (and the Starter Kit is the especially ULTIMATE bargain right now)!  Read more here.

I love stamping and I love Stampin' Up!  Thank you so much for choosing me as your demonstrator.  I am grateful for YOU!


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10